- 1 Story
- 2 Characters
- 3 Locations
- 4 Original Songs
- 5 Behind The Scenes
- 6 Pop Culture References
- 7 Bonus Factoids
- 8 Season 3
While all the adults gather at Mr. Mackey's house to watch the meteor shower, Shelly Marsh babysits for Cartman and invites her much-older boyfriend over. Cartman's cat is in heat.
Cartman's mom attends a meteor shower viewing party at Mr. Mackey's house, leaving her son in the care of Stan's sister Shelly. She verbally and physically abuses Cartman, then invites over her 22-year-old boyfriend, Skyler. Enraged, Cartman takes a photo of Shelley and Skyler making out. He tries to send the photo to his mom by tying it to his cat Mr. Kitty and tossing her out a window. However, Mr. Kitty immediately returns to the front door of the house, where Shelly intercepts the photo.
But his cat has problems of her own. In heat and looking for a mate, she escapes the house and wanders around South Park. She finally locates a group of interested males, who all attempt to "service" her at the same time.
Back at the house, Shelly allows Cartman out of his room to watch the meteor shower. But Skyler gets angry when Shelly (who is, after all, 12) won't put out and breaks up with her. Distraught, she turns to Cartman for help. The two go to Skyler's house, where Cartman lures him outdoors while Shelly destroys his cherished guitar.
When the two return home they discover Mr. Kitty and her "friends" in the midst of a cat orgy. Skyler shows up seeking revenge but Cartman dusts him with catnip, causing the hoard of felines to attack him. Cartman's mom returns before the orgy-related mess is cleaned up, but is too drunk to notice.
What I Learned Today
"It's kind of cool that two people who hated each other can be friends."
- "You're a stinking, dried-up, stupid turd. Got it?" (Shelly Marsh)
- "As far as turds go, you're okay." (Shelly Marsh)
- "Wild Wild West! Yo! A wiki wiki scratch! A wiki wiki scratch!!" (Eric Cartman)
- "And if he gets cranky just play Tummy Rub-Rubs with him. And make sure he wipes good after he makes bears." (Liane Cartman)
- "Dude, that's not cool." (Eric Cartman)
- "I cherish you. Almost as much as I cherish my guitar." (Skyler Morse)
- "Luckily for us my mom is a total lush." (Eric Cartman)
Mr. Kitty has a big role in this episode as a female cat in heat. She proceeds to partake in a pretty epic orgy. But then in “Major Boobage”, we learn that male cats are the only ones who can spray out the concentrated urine needed for cheesing, which would mean Mr. Kitty is a male cat...
The Lords of the Underworld also make their rocking debut. The band consists of Shelley's ex-boyfriend and frontman Skyler Morse, bassist Mark and drummer Jonesy. Jonesy can actually be seen partying in "Clubhouses" with his green Zildjian shirt but isn't introduced until this episode. The bandmates later join forces with Timmy Burch to form the supergroup Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld in "Timmy 2000".
Nobody. Kenny didn't appear in this episode.
Cartman and Clyde Frog's hip hop rendition of "Wild Wild West" from this episode is one of South Park's all-time classics. Also, Skyler's band plays the hard-rockin' tune "Shelly", as well as the happy-go-lucky song "Turds", one which Shelly steps in to sing lead vocals.
Behind The Scenes
Where Did The Idea Come From
"Cat Orgy" is the first of three different stories that all take place on the same night, also known as the Meteor Shower Trilogy. This episode revolves around Cartman.
Writing intertwined episodes was for expediency. The team was exhausted after working for so long on the movie South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut. They decided to do a three-parter to close out their production obligations for the summer and take a well-needed vacation. In retrospect, Trey and Matt thought that having each episode explore one character's POV of the same night was a sweet idea.
Playing with his toys, Cartman throughout the episode makes allusions to the movie Wild Wild West featuring Will Smith. This film came out in theaters June 30, 1999, the same release date as South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut and two weeks prior to this episode. Trey and Matt were frustrated that the critically panned Wild Wild West did better at box office than their film. However, there were reports that some underage patrons snuck into the R-rated South Park film having bought tickets to the PG-13-rated Wild Wild West, adding to the latter film's box office sales.
Pop Culture References
Cartman watches the 1986 movie Aliens, mimicking the line "They mostly come out at night. Mostly." Shelly turns off the movie to instead watch the sitcom Friends.
Also, when Cartman takes a picture of Skyler and Shelly making out, he shouts "Ha ha, charade you are!" It's a line from the Pink Floyd song "Pigs (Three Different Ones)".
Cartman plays a game with his stuffed animals called Wild Wild West, based on the actual film Wild Wild West featuring Will Smith. Cartman and his toys take on roles from the film, and Cartman sings a bastardization of the theme song "Wild Wild West Rap" originally performed by Will Smith.
Wild Animal World, a TV show featuring live-action footage of lions having sex, is a parody of the many Discovery Channel and National Geographic-type shows that document the beauty of animals mating.
Cartman tells Mr. Kitty that she is his only hope, in much the same way Princess Leia does when she records a message into R2-D2 asking for Obi-Wan Kenobi's help in Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope.
The grotesquely fat orange-and-black tomcat that Mr. Kitty tries to mate with in an alley looks an awful lot like Garfield.
Shelley uses multiple "turd" puns to insult Cartman:
- "Turd Man of Alcatraz" - Birdman of Alcatraz was the nickname of criminal Robert Stroud, who raised and researched birds during a life sentence in prison. His life inspired the film Birdman of Alcatraz.
- "Richard the Turd" - Richard the Third or Richard III was the King of England from 1483 to 1485. Richard III was also a play by William Shakespeare.
- "Turd Rock from the Sun" - 3rd Rock from the Sun was an American sitcom that aired from 1996 to 2001 on NBC.
- "AstroTurd" - AstroTurf is a brand of artificial grass used in sports stadiums in place of real grass.
- "Turdle Dove" - Turtle Dove, a type of bird found in Eastern Europe and Northern Africa. Referenced in the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas".
- Polly Prissypants, while playing Rita Escobar from Wild Wild West, says she needs to "eat some tacos and burritos. Me gusta tacos mucho!" This eloquent portrayal of Mexican culture will be used again by Cartman's hand puppet Hennifer Lopez in "Fat Butt and Pancake Head".
- It is stated that Skyler is 22 years old and Shelly is 12. This kind of relationship is illegal in the United States.
- Shelly's babysitting rates, especially her use of the term "golden time", is a subtle joke that references pay rates for Union workers in the entertainment business.
- Cartman gets an atomic wedgie three separate times in this episode.
- This episode contains the first use of a Wellington Bear toy, seen as Cartman's Speak-and-Record Bear. Cartman is shown to be a big fan of Wellington Bear, having pajamas, food (Snacky Cakes), toys and stationery featuring the mascot.
- The music that Mr. Kitty plays on the stereo is the same as the one in the gay animal disco in "Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride".
- During the scene of Aliens on the TV, a Visitor can be seen on the left side of the TV.
- e1 Rainforest Shmainforest
- e2 Spontaneous Combustion
- e3 The Succubus
- e4 Tweek Vs. Craig
- e5 Jakovasaurs
- e6 Sexual Harassment Panda
- e7 Cat Orgy
- e8 Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub
- e9 Jewbilee
- e10 Chinpokomon
- e11 Starvin' Marvin in Space
- e12 Korn's Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery
- e13 Hooked on Monkey Fonics
- e14 The Red Badge of Gayness
- e15 Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics
- e16 Are You There, God? It's Me, Jesus
- e17 World Wide Recorder Concert