Goth Kids 3: Dawn of the Posers
One of the Goth kids has been sent to a camp for troubled children. When she returns, her friends find her changed in a disturbing way. With their very existence threatened, the Goths have to do something drastic. They are forced to ask the Vamp kids for help.
- "They have a horseshoe pit where you can challenge the other kids to horseshoes!" (Henrietta's Mom)
- "A goth believes that deep down the world is totally fucked up. But an EMO thinks that deep down THEY are totally fucked up." Michael
- "Nooooo wayyyyyyyy…." Michael
- "DEATH AND DESPAIR! DEATH AND DESPAIR! DEATH AND DESPAIR! DEATH AND DISP-" (Ringtone)
- "Pete... If they get me... If I get sent to that camp... And I come back emo.... Kill me. Promise that you'll kill me. Firkle
- "This is the noon meeting of the Vamp Kids. I am Mike your Lord and Dark Master, per se." Mike "Vampir" McKowski
- "Okay hold up! HOLD UP! You mean that one of us might not REALLY be a vamp kid?" (Black Vamp Guy)
- "Ugh. You spit on me, Larry." Pete
- "We call upon the Creator of all that is dark! The godfather of death and despair!" Mike "Vampir" McKowski
- "Hey look man, all genres of gothic subcultures are derivatives of Poe's work! Mother fucker." (Black Vamp Guy)
- "Is that red dye in your hair or did a blood demon take a shit on your head, poser." Edgar Allen Poe (Night Pain)
- "You can't tell me what to do. Who elected you the 'Mayor of me'?" Edgar Allen Poe (Night Pain)
- "Thank God you're here. Emos are plants and they're invading human bodies!" Michael
- "Leave me alone. I just want coffee." Edgar Allen Poe (Night Pain)
- "What's the point? Save some people so some other people can be lame. And then those lameos can be lamer to some other posers?" Edgar Allen Poe (Night Pain)
- "Tune in again next week, when we make a woman from Milwaukee think she's working at a haunted abortion clinic!" (Reality Show Host)
- "SHUT UP MOM! LEAVE ME ALONE YOU CONFORMIST BAG OF DEMON JIZZ!" Henrietta Biggle
"Emos? Ewwwmygod Emos are such wannabe conformists..."
"I like to be called by my goth name... Night Pain."
- Most notably was the debut of the "godfather of death and despair" -- Edgar Allen Poe. Although he prefers to be called by his Goth name, "Night Pain".
- The Vamp Kids added a pretty significant addition to their crew with the loud-mouthed Black Vamp Guy.
- We also meet Tall Goth Michael's Parents here.
- South Park City Bus Stop
- Hair Flip Residence
Pop Culture References
- This episode parodies several horror classics, including "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers", "The Night of the Triffids" and "Stepford Wives."
- Band posters in Henrietta's room: My Medical Relationship, Zaozin, C&C, Hacienda Heights, Tommy Ate Earth, and Bail Out Boy.
- We finally learned ALL the Goth Kids' names in this episode. Tall Goth is Michael, Hair Flip is Pete, and Little Goth is Firkle.
- And of course, the Goth Girl is "Henrietta" -- a fact we learned in Season 7's "Raisins".
South Park Blackout
- The evening before this episode was originally supposed to air — which is always our last night of production — South Park Studios experienced a power outage. This episode was the first time, in 241 episodes, that we didn’t make air.
- Trey said, "It sucks to miss an air date but after all these years of tempting fate by delivering the show last minute, I guess it was bound to happen."
- The episode was originally supposed to air on October 16, 2013. It finally aired the next week, on October 23, 2013.
This was the official notice that went out on-site and to fans the day the episode was supposed to air.
Behind The Scenes
- Matt does the voice of Tall Goth Michael. Trey voices Hair Flip Pete and Edgar Allen Poe... aka "Night Pain". The actor who voices the Black Vamp Kid is named Tyrone Jenkins.
- Trey also did the voice for the Tall Goth's mom. We meet both of Michael's parents here for the first time.
- Like Ike Broflovski, Little Goth's voice has been done by a number of children over the years -- usually it's done by a staff member's kid.
New Goth Kids' Intro
This is the first time EVER that the lyrics to the intro song have been changed. Here's the script for the Goth Kids opening, made specifically for this show.
Production Art: Henrietta's Transformation
Check out Henrietta's transformation from Goth to Emo in this character style sheet. No way... NO WAY!!!
Storyboard: Emo Kids
Storyboard artists use red notes to denote action or movement within frame, like in this scene where Mike McKowski is "levitating" up from behind the window.
Production Art: Ghost of Poe
Creating the ghost of Edgar Allen Poe (aka Night Pain) took multiple special poses, as well as a specifically designed "glow".
1st Draft of Script
On the 1st Draft of the script, this episode was originally called "Posers From Beyond". Scripts will often go through multiple title changes during our crazy 6-day production process. You can also see that this episode was written with the idea of being a Halloween-themed show.
Character Art: Emo Firkle
This "emo" version of Firkle went through multiple rounds of changes before it was finalized. If you watch the episode, you'll notice the final version looks noticeably different.
All the props in the show -- like Henrietta's emo sketch -- are done by our Storyboard department. You can see Henrietta drawing this in the last scene of the show.
- When Little Goth says "The vampires are our sworn enemies! We beat up their leader! We burned down their lair!", he is talking about what they did to Mike Mckowski and the other Vamp Kids in "The Ungroundable".
- If you look closely at the scene with the Goth Kids waiting for Henrietta at the bus stop, there's an ad for S'Moors beer. This booze has been featured throughout the series, most notably when Stan's Dad becomes an "alcoholic" in "Bloody Mary". Another S'Moors product -- S'moore Schnapps -- played a big role when Cartman's Confederate army almost defeated the Union in "The Red Badge of Gayness".
- There is a Deleted Scene from this episode featured on the "South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season" DVD & Blu-Ray set.
Cthulhu Easter Egg
Check out the Cthulhu poster above the Goth Kids' heads. They play a bigger role dealing with the Cult of Cthulhu in "Coon vs. Coon & Friends".
Goths' Halloween Intro
The Goths got their very own spooky intro for this episode. It was only the 2nd custom Halloween-themed intro in South Park history. The first was in Season 2's "Spookyfish".
Goth Kids' Debut
The Goth Kids debuted in Season 7's "Raisins". After Wendy breaks up with Stan, he becomes joins the Goth kids as "Raven".