- 1 Story
- 2 Characters
- 3 Locations
- 4 Original Songs
- 5 Behind The Scenes
- 6 Pop Culture References
- 7 Bonus Factoids
- 8 Season 3
The boys discover a prehistoric creature called a Jakovasaur while camping at Stark's Pond. The town tries to save the species from extinction.
While camping at Stark's Pond, the boys glimpse a strange creature which Jimbo and Ned help capture it. Representatives from the Department of the Interior soon arrive and announce that it is a female "Jakovasaur", a rare species thought to be extinct. The townspeople, hoping the female can be used to rebuild the breed, name it Hope -- in spite of the fact that the Jakovasaur says that its name is Jun-Jun.
Soon a male Jakovasaur named Jakov is located, and the two are given their own home in South Park. Dr. Mephesto artificially inseminates Jun-Jun and the community is overrun by baby Jakovasaurs. The creatures turn out to be incredibly annoying to everyone but Cartman, who finds them hilarious.
The townspeople get rid of the Jakovasaurs by having them play a rigged game show offering a trip to France for the winner and fifty of his closest relatives. The entire Jakovasaur crew is bundled onto a plane and sent to France, where they quickly gain comedian Jerry Lewis-like fame.
What I Learned Today
"Animal species come and go. It's all part of natural evolution."
- "I hate you guys / You guys are assholes / Especially Kenny / I hate him the most." (Cartman's song "I Hate You Guys")
- "God, I'm glad you guys know all these pooping outside rules." (Eric Cartman)
- "Oh come on. You all know that pigeon was a total slut." (Mr. Garrison)
- "Jakovasaurs kind of piss me off, m'kay?" (Mr. Mackey)
- "Cool beans!" (Jakov)
- "I have semen? Where's their boat??" (Jakov)
- "Jakov please don't go. You make everything in South Park fun." (Eric Cartman)
- "I guess he finally found something that's as annoying as he is." (Stan Marsh)
The Jakovasaurs, loud obnoxious woodland creatures that were thought to be extinct.
Kenny, eaten by a bear while impersonating a deer.
While camping at the beginning of the episode, Cartman sings a small jingle called "I Hate You Guys" about how much he hate his friends.
Behind The Scenes
Where Did The Idea Come From
The Jakovasaurs are a parody of the comic relief character Jar Jar Binks from Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace, released four weeks before this episode aired. When Trey and Matt watched trailers featuring Jar Jar Binks, they knew "people [were] going to hate that thing".
Both the movie and Jar Jar Binks were met with heavy criticism, panning the character in particular for being excessively childish, racially stereotyped and out of place. Like many Star Wars fans, Trey and Matt hated Jar Jar Binks and felt "betrayed" by how stupid they felt the character was. They wanted to make the Jakovasaurs the most irritating characters in television history. However, they felt the finished product still wasn't as annoying as Jar Jar was.
Pop Culture References
The female Jakovasaur's name is Jun-Jun which is a parody of Jar Jar Bink's name.
The show parodies cheesy '90s sitcoms with Jakovasaurs, a fake sitcom starring the Jakov family complete with laugh tracks and canned applause. It airs on Comedy Central, which is the same network that airs South Park.
The Jakovsaurs' sitcom delivers a joke about MTV with Jakov saying, "You mean MTV played a video that wasn't Will Smith?!" MTV (Music Television) was known to play only music videos until the early 2000s. At the time this episode aired, actor Will Smith had gained more popularity from his roles in 1996 film Independence Day and 1997 film Men In Black, which revitalized his previous rapping career.
Ned and Jimbo watch the House Shopping Network. This is a parody of the Home Shopping Network, a 24 hour television network that sells items live on TV which viewers can call in and order.
Jakov, Randy, Mr. Mackey, Mr. Garrison, Gerald, Stuart and Chef are watching a football game between the Denver Broncos and the San Francisco 49ers. The game mentions past Bronco members Bubby Brister who played from 1997-1999, and Terrell Davis who played from 1995 until he retired in 2002.
Mr. Garrison refers to rock and roll singer Chubby Checker as a member of The Beatles who left in 1972. Check was never in The Beatles and the band broke up in 1970 due to creative differences and personal issues.
South Park's citizens want to send the Jakovasaurs to Memphis, Tennessee, a place they state is populated with people just as annoying as Jakovasaurs are.
Ultimately the Jakovasaurs are sent to Paris, France where the people there find them funny and liken them to Jerry Lewis. Jerry Lewis was an American comedian best known for his slap-stick comedy wherein he acts like an awkward and clumsy individual. His popularity in France completely baffled American comedy critics.
- Cartman's home address is visible on his backpack which reads 21208 E. Bonanza Circle, South Park, CO. However, in "Wing" his street address is revealed to be 93345 Ave. de los Mexicanos. Since then, Avenue/Avenida de Los Mexicanos or "Avenue of the Mexicans" in Spanish has been used for many South Park addresses.
- This is the one episode in which Ned doesn't have his normal voice box. He burp-talks a majority of the time, as well as tries out an Irish voice box and a "sucky" one.
- We learn a lot about Jackovauars here: they don't have genitals, they only take 4 days to have babies which come in huge litters, and they're really, really annoying. Cartman absolutely loves them even more than he loves ice cream.
- The House Shopping Network is selling a samurai sword that was once used by a Tokugawa samurai. During the Tokugawa era (also called the Edo period), samurais increasingly became aristocratic bureaucrats from the lack of war. Their swords became more like symbols rather than weapons used in daily life, making it possible the network's Tokugawa sword is scarcely used.
- Only previously seen on the cover of Crack Whore Magazine in "Pinkeye", this episode shows Cartman's mom actually being a whore who smokes crack.
- Jakovasaurs' name is a cross between the term "jack-off" and "dinosaur".
- e1 Rainforest Shmainforest
- e2 Spontaneous Combustion
- e3 The Succubus
- e4 Tweek Vs. Craig
- e5 Jakovasaurs
- e6 Sexual Harassment Panda
- e7 Cat Orgy
- e8 Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub
- e9 Jewbilee
- e10 Chinpokomon
- e11 Starvin' Marvin in Space
- e12 Korn's Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery
- e13 Hooked on Monkey Fonics
- e14 The Red Badge of Gayness
- e15 Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics
- e16 Are You There, God? It's Me, Jesus
- e17 World Wide Recorder Concert