Cartman, disillusioned by events in "Do the Handicapped Go To Hell?" becomes a preacher. Meanwhile, in Hell, Satan has a wild night of sex with his former lover, Saddam Hussein.
Kenny, who was previously struck by a bus, wasn't killed. Instead he'd dragged all the way to Ensenada, Mexico, where he phones home for help. Cartman takes the call, believing that Kenny is contacting him from beyond the grave. The next day he describes Hell to his followers as a place where "everyone speaks Spanish," and if you drink the water you "pee blood out your ass for seven hours."
A few days later, Stan and Kyle find Cartman rolling around in a vat of $1 bills collected from his followers. He reveals that his "conversion" is just his latest effort to get $10 million. It unravels when Jesus makes an unscheduled appearance at Cartman's church and tells his followers they should live good lives instead of living in fear.
At the same time, Satan goes to heaven to ask God for relationship advice. The Supreme Being calls him a "whiney little bitch" and says he should ditch both his lovers. Saddam is kicked to the curb forever when God agrees to take him into heaven -- a place populated with Mormons.. As for Cartman, Jesus dispatches him not to Hell, but someplace worse, Ensenada.
What I Learned Today
"God doesn't want you to spend all your time being afraid of hell, or praising his name. God wants you to spend your time helping others, and living a good, happy life. That's how you live for him."
- "It's time to stop preaching damnation to everyone, sweetie." (Liane Cartman)
- "Man, look at that! We went through 14 bottles of vegetable oil!" (Saddam Hussein)
- "My brain is of a much larger size than you guys's. I couldn't expect you to understand, not until you actually saw the cash flow." (Cartman)
- "Do not think that you can tempt us with toys and games and powdered donut pancake surprise!" (Cartman)
- "Satan, I'm a nineties man. I cry when I need to, I share my feelings, and I keep my mind open about everything." (Chris)
- "Right now, all the Jewness is coming out of your body, and being replaced by the spirit of God-a!" (Cartman)
- "Right here we have a little girl who's very, very ugly. Do you believe he's going to cure your face of the uglies?" (Cartman)
None. Chris and Saddam repeatedly "kill" each other as they battle for Satan's affections. But since they're already dead, none of it really counts. They just resurrect and go at it again. Even Kenny (who everyone thinks is in Hell, but is really in Mexico) survives.
Behind The Scenes
Where Did The Idea Come From
This is the back end of a two-parter. It was split into two episodes at the last minute when Matt and Trey realized they simply had too much material to squeeze into one show.
Pop Culture References
In the midst of the "previously" recap at the start of the episode, there's a brief reference to the famous Happy Days episode in which Fonzie jumps over a shark on water skis. Only in this version he doesn't make it and the shark eats him.
Cartman's over-the-top sermon style is a rip on televangelists that populate television and thrive on monetary donations from viewers.
Among the numerous sex toys strewn about Saddam's hotel room after his night with Satan is an Antonio Banderas blowup doll.
In addition to Powdered Donut Pancake Surprise (a dish she last made in "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe"), Cartman's mom has all the boys' favorite toys out -- Terrance and Phillip, Chinpokomon, Polly Prissypants, Petey the Panda, Mega Man, and everything else. But their love for God is stronger than the temptation of toys.
Timmy walks in this episode very, very briefly.
At the end of this episode, Saddam Hussein is banished to heaven, where he must live with the Mormons. The next time we see him (in "A Ladder to Heaven"), he's building Weapons of Mass Destruction. In heaven. With the Mormons working for him.
In the South Park universe, Mormons are the only people who get into heaven. Yet God Himself professes to be Buddhist.
- e1 Cartman's Silly Hate Crime 2000
- e2 The Tooth Fairy's Tats 2000
- e3 Quintuplets 2000
- e4 Timmy 2000
- e5 Pip
- e6 Cartman Joins NAMBLA
- e7 Cherokee Hair Tampons
- e8 Chef Goes Nanners
- e9 Something You Can Do With Your Finger
- e10 Do the Handicapped Go to Hell?
- e11 Probably
- e12 Fourth Grade
- e13 Trapper Keeper
- e14 Helen Keller! The Musical
- e15 Fat Camp
- e16 The Wacky Molestation Adventure
- e17 A Very Crappy Christmas