The boys are forced to watch an extremely artsy, extremely dreary "adult" circus called Cirque du Cheville. The only good part is a group of female Romanian acrobats called the Vladchick Contorting Quintuplets. That night the quints and their grandmother flee the circus and turn up at Stan's house, seeking refuge from Romania. Their grandma makes love to Grandpa Marsh, and then dies from the exertion -- leaving Stan's family in charge of the girls.
Their story quickly becomes national news and people from all over the country flock to South Park to see the Quints. The boys charge admission. The boys enlist the quint's help to start their own circus, and tell Kenny he must learn to sing better. . He travels to Europe, eventually landing in Romania, where he becomes a famous performer.
When the girls' Romanian father demands their return, Janet Reno dressed as the Easter Bunny, takes them by force from Stan's home on Easter Sunday. But instead of returning to their homeland, the Quintuplets escape Reno's forces and drive off to do the Oprah Winfrey Show where they reveal everyone (including the boys) who attempted to exploit their misfortune and begin a book tour. Shortly thereafter, Kenny is forcibly removed from Romania during another U.S.-sponsored raid. Not surprisingly, he's killed when an agent's gun goes off by accident.
What I Learned Today
"You know nothing about Romania and yet you assume America is so much better. Maybe Romania isn't as nice as America, but it is our home. You can all kiss our little white Romanian asses!"
- "We gotta get all the Frenchie-poo fag nasties out of you." (Grandpa Marsh)
- "Yes luckily for them, these quintuplets no longer have to live in Romania, the asshole of the world." (Newscaster)
- "We've just got to convince these chicks that America kicks the ass out of every other country." (Stan)
- "I want to assure you, and the Romanian people, that we are going to do everything in our power to make this all as confusing as possible." (Janet Reno)
- "Let the quints stay! Romania is gay!" (Protesters)
- "Close your eyes and cover your ears, Billy! Remember YOU'RE A MAN!!" (Grandpa Marsh)
- "I knew it! They turned you into poofters!" (Grandpa Marsh)
- "Hello Girls! I'm the Easter Bunny!" (Janet Reno)
- "Wow, what a great country! Everybody's poor like us!!" (Kenny's Mom)
- "Dammit! How come every time we get a sweet idea, the government has to screw it up!" (Kyle)
Two Romanian Agents and two canoe-paddling Native Americans are blown to pieces during the quintuplets daring escape from Cirque du Cheville. Unfortunately, the Quintuplet's Grandmother meets her death after a passionate love-making session with Grandpa Marsh.
A large number of bystanders and army people are killed during the raid on the Marsh home and in subsequent riots. And Kenny.
Behind The Scenes
Just days before the air date, Matt and Trey had the first half of an episode (quintuplets visit South Park) but no back half. Then Elian Gonzalez was taken from his Florida relatives and sent back to Cuba, providing the ending. The show was broadcast just two days after the actual event, causing media critics to gasp at Matt and Trey's ability to produce something so "topical" and "relevant."
Where Did The Idea Come From
It's a take on the story of Elian Gonzalez, the Cuban boy brought to Florida by his mother, who perished on the trip. After a long legal battle and public relations war, he was taken at gunpoint by Federal authorities and shipped back to his father in Cuba.
Pop Culture References
Cirque du Cheville is a parody of the popular Cirque du Soleil. Grandpa Marsh sits Stan down and makes him watch MacGyver to "get all the Frenchy poo fag nasties" out of him.
Kenny learns to sing from the book Singing Like Bocelli For Dummies; this is a take off on the famous "For Dummies" instructional series. The song he's belting out is "Con Te Partiro", a mumbled version of Bocelli's hit song of the same name. It plays romantically over Grandpa Marsh and the Grandmother's tender love scene.
Janet Reno, who dresses up as the Easter Bunny (an Easter Bunny armed with an automatic rifle and a teargas-filled Easter egg) to infiltrate the Marsh's home and seize the quintuplets.
Kenny and Stan are shown as next-door neighbors -- even though it's been stated before (and after) that Kenny lives in a different, poorer part of town. Stan's house also gets blown up here by the government.
The boys charged a $5 admission to see the quints, and for a few more dollars, you could feed them fishsticks. The importance of these breaded, frozen fish snacks will be fully explored in "Fishsticks".
The agonizing, wrinkle-covered sex scene between Grandpa Marsh and the Quintuplets' Grandmother is an awesomely disturbing sight to behold; especially after we learn that the Grandmother, despite her old age, is still quite the contortionist.
- e1 Cartman's Silly Hate Crime 2000
- e2 The Tooth Fairy's Tats 2000
- e3 Quintuplets 2000
- e4 Timmy 2000
- e5 Pip
- e6 Cartman Joins NAMBLA
- e7 Cherokee Hair Tampons
- e8 Chef Goes Nanners
- e9 Something You Can Do With Your Finger
- e10 Do the Handicapped Go to Hell?
- e11 Probably
- e12 Fourth Grade
- e13 Trapper Keeper
- e14 Helen Keller! The Musical
- e15 Fat Camp
- e16 The Wacky Molestation Adventure
- e17 A Very Crappy Christmas