The boys misbehave in class and are forced, as punishment, to join a touring musical group called Getting Gay With Kids. Led by the idealistic Miss Stevens, the group is dedicated to saving the rainforest.
The kids travel -- via school bus -- to Costa Rica to perform for a gathering of environmentalists who are against paving over the rainforrest. They promptly get lost when their guide is killed, and then eaten, and then excreted, by a coral snake. They wander through the trackless green hell, encountering everything from giant insects to rebel guerillas to actor Tony Danza. They're finally captured by a tribe of natives called the Yanagopas, who inexplicably dress Miss Stevens in a cheerleader outfit and then tie her between two posts, to serve as a sacrifice to the Yanagopas' gigantic "god."
Suddenly Cartman, who wandered off on his own in search of help, bursts from the underbrush along with a gang of American construction workers. They make short work of the Yanagopas by crushing them with bulldozers. The kids make it back to Costa Rica's capital of San Jose, where they sing a new song that includes the lyrics, "There's a place called the rainforest that truly sucks ass / Let's knock it all down and get rid of it fast."
- "Being an activist is totally gay." Getting Gay With Kids
- "The rainforest sucks. I want to go home." Kyle
- "I told you Jewish people don't have rhythm." Cartman
- "Oh man, this is gonna suck donkey balls." Cartman
- "The nightmare begins." Cartman
- "Look how they live in peace with all living things. Gentle, noble - RUN FOR YOUR LIVES CHILDREN!!" Miss Stevens
- "Tom tilly ye!" Yanagapa Tribe
The choir group's Costa Rican Guide is brutally killed (then eaten) by a coral snake, and Jake (a student on the choir tour) is devoured by a giant Venus-Flytrap-like plant. Also, most of the native Yanagopa tribe is killed by bulldozers as they rescue Ms. Stevens' class from capture.
Fortunately Kenny survives, thanks to his girlfriend Kelly.
Two inspiring versions of the campy "Getting Gay With Kids" are performed by the activist group of the same name.
Behind The Scenes
Where Did The Idea Come From
The show is an extended rip on rainforests, inspired by a nightmarish vacation Trey took to Costa Rica. It was hot, dirty, smelly and very snake-and-spider-intensive. All of Cartman's comments about the rainforest during the episode mirror Trey's own views.
Pop Culture References
Miss Stevens' attempted sacrifice to the Yanagapa's "god" is a direct lift from King Kong.
When Cartman shows up with rescue, Miss Stevens is shocked. He responds: "Who'd you expect, Merv Griffin?"
During a nighttime lightning storm Stan yells, "Oh my God dude, I just saw Tony Danza!" Sure enough, the next bolt reveals the star of TV's Who's The Boss sitting among the kids.
Kenny's stint with Kelly here is his first taste of love. He doesn't find a girlfriend again until he meets Tammy in "The Ring". Also, we learn that Mr. Mackey speaks pretty fluent Spanish. Mbien?
- e1 Rainforest Shmainforest
- e2 Spontaneous Combustion
- e3 The Succubus
- e4 Tweek Vs. Craig
- e5 Jakovasaurs
- e6 Sexual Harassment Panda
- e7 Cat Orgy
- e8 Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub
- e9 Jewbilee
- e10 Chinpoko Mon
- e11 Starvin' Marvin in Space
- e12 Korn's Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery
- e13 Hooked on Monkey Fonics
- e14 The Red Badge of Gayness
- e15 Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics
- e16 Are You There, God? It's Me, Jesus
- e17 World Wide Recorder Concert