|Aliases||Ranger Stan Marshwalker, Satan (Stan Marsh), Toolshed|
|Religion||Roman Catholic; Temporarily: Atheist, Mormon, Scientologist and Blaintologist|
|Voiced by||Trey Parker|
|First Appearance||The Spirit of Christmas (Jesus vs. Frosty)|
Stanley "Stan" Marsh has always been your comparatively avarage all-American fourth grader... who happens to live in one of the most fucked up places on Earth. Whenever crazy things are happening in South Park, he and Kyle are there to provide the voice of reason and help resolve the problems, often with a comforting speech or at least some memorable highlights from Star Trek. He has a highly abusive sister named Shelly, a gay dog named "Sparky", and is crazy in love with his longtime girlfriend, Wendy Testaburger. He's also quite good pals with the Super Best Friends, lead by Jesus Christ, and was even entrusted with helping protect the immensely powerful prophet Muhammad for a time.
Like his father, Stan's a member of the Mountain Scouts, an aspect of his life that's cultivated a belief in honesty and integrity, leading him to tell the truth to the Space Police and to nominate John Edward for the 'Biggest Douche in the Universe' award for lying to people. He briefly served as the prophet of the religion/cult, the Church of Scientology, but left upon discovering it was a lie and a scam. He is willing to lie and stretch the truth to suit his own needs in extreme situations, like when Kyle's 9/11 investigation lead him to discover Stan was the kid who shat in the urinal or to avoid trouble when TPing houses or smoking. When traumatized, such as after learning about Mr. Mackey's hoarding disorder, after discovering the secret of Easter, or during the "List" incident, he may care more about moving on than exposing the truth.
He also often champions social and environmental causes, something he can sometimes take too far, and has a soft spot for causes related to animals. Despite his distate for environmentalism, he engaged in a tense stand-off with the Park County Police Department over veal abuses and lead the Sea Shepard to save thousands of whales and dolphins as Captain, causing television ratings to soar but becoming a wanted criminal, and helped a whale to return to his family on the moon. Stan has been noted for his exceptional leadership abilities in times of crisis and high stakes such as these. He has also consistently championed gay rights since discovering his dog Sparky was gay, and helped the animals from Big Gay Al's animal shelter. He does, however, exhibit an occasional fear of snakes.
It has been noted that he has exceptional weaponry skills for a fourth grader, illustrating proficiency with guns and has yielded a number of weapons, including handguns, rifles, flareguns and assault weapons. He has also attended weekly karate lessons with Cartman and Kyle, learning much about "diciprine" as well as self-defense. More curious abilities include a knowledge of how to drive, if assisted by Kenny at the pedals, and the ability to give abortions, which he subsequently taught some mountain lion cubs, according to Cartman anyhow. He also became involved in and made bold attempts to stop the American Civil War and the second American-Canadian War.
Stan's greatest talent may be his athletic abilities, which he is frequently praised for - he is the quarterback on the South Park Cows football team and creates controversy when he's missing at the big game, much to his Uncle Jimbo's worry. He's also on the Baseball Team, the Cows Dodgeball Players, lead the South Park Diggities dance troupe, and famously coached the Park County Pee-Wee Hockey Team, inspiring a generation of children to never play hockey ever again. Like his father, Stan also has musical talent, being a member of two bands - Fingerbang and Moop - as well as being an ace Guitar Hero player and singing a hit song begging people to use hybrid cars.
Stan is not without his faults. He has exhibited poor parenting abilities, with neither Wendy nor Kyle trusting him with an egg, Like the other boys, he can be ignorant and rip on unpopular kids like Butters Stotch or Scott Malkinson maliciously, and his ego can get in the way of his friendships, such as becoming caught up with his Guitar Hero skills or getting carried away with social causes. On at least two known occasions, he ended up jacking it in San Diego, California after promoting such causes in web videos. Not to mention, he's a bit of a cynical asshole, which he only keeps in check with a few swigs day of Jameson Irish Whiskey.
Whenever things are looking their darkest and Stan needs guidance in his life, he knows there is always one voice he can turn to and rely on, wondering... what would Brian Boitano do?
- "Oh my god, they killed Kenny!"
- "Dude, this is pretty fucked up right here."
- "What would Brian Boitano do?"
- "Dude! DUUDDDE!!!" (Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls)
- "Cartman, you are so God damned stupid it's unbelievable." (Scott Tenorman Must Die)
- "Oh my God, our parents are SO stupid, dude..." (Child Abduction is Not Funny)
- "AH-TAHHH." (Bebe's Boobs Destroy Society)
- "Can we go pleeeease!" (Raisins)
- "What's your Ninja name Kenny?" (Good Times with Weapons)
- "It's critter Christmas dude, it sucks ass." (Woodland Critter Christmas)
- "Aw, God dammit!" (Bloody Mary)
- "Come on people now people now. People now come on people now. Got to drive hybrids people now. People now people now people now." (Smug Alert)
- "Dude, I'm sorry but we still aren't getting it....You're half man, and half berry?" (Coon vs. Coon & Friends)
- "NO. I mean it sounds like SOMEBODY - IS SHITTING - IN MY EARS." (You're Getting Old)
- "Well then maybe you should go live with Jaden Smith dad." (Informative Murder Porn)
- "-See you sound like a dick." (Ginger Cow)
- “What would they do on Game of Thrones? What would they do when things looked their darkest?” (Black Friday)
- “You just had your head so set because... Because that's how Xbox people are.” (Black Friday)
- "The Princess calls you a ball licking lesbian." (A Song of Ass and Fire)
- "Milky Crotch Ooze." (Go Fund Yourself)
- "Being gay is just part of nature, and a beautiful thing."
- "Parents can be so cruel. Don't they realize that what a child needs more than anything is security? "
- "I’m starting to think that maybe it’s wrong to put someone who thinks they’re a Vietnamese prostitute onto a bull.”
- "Environmental activists don’t use logic or reason.”
- "You see, I learned something today. At first I thought you were all stupid, listening to this douche's advice, but now I understand that you're all here because you're scared. You're scared of death and he offers you some kind of understanding. You all want to believe in it so much, I know you do. You find comfort in the thought that your loved ones are floating around trying to talk to you, but thnk about it: Is that really what you want? To just be floating around after you die, having to talk to this asshole?"
- "This is America and in America, if something sucks, you’re supposed to be able to get your money back.”
- "Look, everybody, we're all looking for answer, you know. We all want to understand who we are and where we come from, but... soemtimes we want to know the answers so badly that we... believe just about anything."
- "No, no, no. I get it. Jesus wanted us to eat him, but he didn’t what us to be cannibals, so he turned himself into crackers and then told people to eat him.”
- "Parents can be pretty cruel sometimes, dude. They get off on it.”
- "Can't you see that all we're trying to do is keep our families safe? Look, ah I don't know if seeing coupls murder each other on television is gonna make my parents do it, and we probably won't be able to stop them from watching what they wanna watch. All we're trying to do is make it a little more difficult for them. Because cable makes is so convenient. Sure, if they didn't have easy access to their murder porn channels, they'd be bummed out, but it's not just our responsibility to give them what they want. Is it?"
Stan has a number of alter-egos - some creative, some not - most of which were created for role-playing games with his friends... or by Satan. It's hard to tell the difference sometimes.
Stan is close with his mother, who he inherited his common sense from, and has a good relationship with his father (when not strained by shenigans) building pinewood derby cars together or watching football. his sister likes to beat the crap out of him when their parents aren't around and then play innocent - but when things get tough, even she's there for him, too. Stan also has a good relationship with his Uncle Jimbo and his war buddy, Ned, going camping in the woods, even if they think Stan's kind of a wuss. Stan's grandfather, Marvin, or "Grampa" is quite fond of him, even if he thinks Stan's kind of a wuss, too.
He's also really close with his dog Sparky and although he doesn't let the dog follow him to school anymore, he spends plenty of time with him at home when the guys are busy... except when he's playing in the land of Zaron, when Sparky becomes his canine familiar who can heal his wounds with the power of love.
Stan's had feelings for Wendy Testaburger since the pilot episode, where the two worked together with Kyle to save his little brother from the Visitors.. even if he gets so nervous around her vomits uncontrollably every time she speaks. Nonetheless, the two formed a relationship - meeting up for Truth or Dare in his clubhouse, planning fake cruises for Valentine's Day and seeing independent movies together at the film festival
They shared their very first kiss in South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut after Stan impressed her by leading the La Resistance forces into action, but after a sexually-transmitted disease scare and a period of silence, she broke up with him (in "Raisins"), leaving him heartbroken and depressed. He recovered soon after but remained bitter for a while.
They eventually rekindled their relationship through the adventures in Season 11's "The List" and seem to have had a much closer and more involved relationship, planning picnics together and studying together after-school. Wendy paid Dr. Chinstrap to help Stan with his hoarding problem and remained concerned about him when he became a "cynical asshole". Stan has, in turn, tried not to embarass her too much at Pioneer Village and listens to her stupid muthafuckin' problems.
They've both shown signs of possessiveness - Wendy doesn't take kindly to Stan's other Facebook friends or interest in sexy substitutes and Stan freaked out when she befriend Gregory of Yardale, an exchange student, when he thought Kyle might be interested in her and when she displayed an interest in Bridon Gueermo.
When Stan was in Aspen, Colorado, he had a "fling" with a blonde chick named Heather. Tad McKowski sure seemed to think it was something serious.
Super Best Friend
Although they have their differences with each other, and rip on each other plenty, whenever things get really tough - or really, every Wednesday in South Park - Stan and Kyle are pretty much always there for each other. They've been best friends since they were kids and hang out together all the time - and so do their parents as well. Whether they're saving the world together, or just saving each other's lives from whatever's been conjured up into town this week, these guys always seem to have each other's backs.
It's not all rainbows and sunshine for Stan and Kyle though -- from time to time, Stan's ego can get in the way of their friendship and Kyle can only deal with so much negativity. Still, as long as they aren't asked to name a prehistorice ice creature, these two can usually keep it together and put friendship above everything else.
- Cartman Gets an Anal Probe (s01e01)
- Volcano (s1e03)
- Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride (s01e04)
- An Elephant Makes Love to a Pig (s01e05)
- Pinkeye (s01e07)
- Chickenpox (s02e10)
- Clubhouses (s02e12)
- Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub (s03e08)
- Chinpoko Mon (s03e10)
- Are You There, God? It's Me, Jesus (s03e16)
- The Wacky Molestation Adventure (s04e16)
- A Very Crappy Christmas (s04e17)
- Osama bin Laden Has Farty Pants (s05e09)
- Fun with Veal (s06e05)
- The Biggest Douche in the Universe (s06e15)
- South Park Is Gay! (s07e08)
- Lil' Crime Stoppers (s07e06)
- All About Mormons (s07e12)
- Raisins (s07e14)
- Goobacks (s08e06)
- Woodland Critter Christmas (s08e14)
- Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow (s09e08)
- Trapped in the Closet (s09e12)
- Bloody Mary (s09e14)
- ManBearPig (s10e06)
- Fantastic Easter Special (s11e05)
- More Crap (s11e09)
- The List (s11e14)
- Britney's New Look (s12e01)
- Margaritaville (s13e03)
- Coon 2: Hindsight (s14e11)
- Creme Fraiche (s14e14)
- You're Getting Old (s15e07)
- Ass Burgers (s15e08)
- 1% (s15e12)
- A Scause for Applause (s16e13)
- Informative Murder Porn (s17e02)
- Black Friday (s17e07)
- A Song of Ass and Fire (s17e08)
- Titties and Dragons (s17e09)
- Go Fund Yourself (s18e01)
- Gluten Free Ebola (s18e02)
- The Cissy (s18e03)
- Freemium Isn't Free (s18e06)
- #REHASH (s18e09)
- #HAPPYHOLOGRAMS (s18e10)
Behind The Scenes
Stan is based on series co-creator Trey Parker, who voices him, and many of Stan's character traits are inspired directly by Trey and his feelings, behaviors and beliefs.
Below is a selection of kick-ass behind the scenes content, exclusively from South Park:
"Towelie" (s05e08) Production Art
This is some old-school production art used while developing the parachute look for Towelie and the boys. The notes are there to give animators cues on which color textures to use while animating.
"Freemium Isn't Free" (s18e06) Storyboard
Check out the art made for this super-charged shot of Stan.
Born of the humans but raised by the elves, Ranger Stan Marshwalker is a a brave and strong warrior of the Elven army. Along with his companion and familiar Sparky, this warrior serves as the right-hand man to the Elf King, and holds great power in his magical sword summons.
- Stan has blue eyes. (A Very Crappy Christmas)
Myths & Legends
- Stan is the third cutest boy in Mr. Garrison's Fourth Grade classroom according to the girls' corrupted list in "The List"; whether or not this is considered accurate remains unknown.
- In "Sexual Harassment Panda", Stan is stated to have asthma and his inhaler is taken by Cartman. This has been referenced again and Stan has never been depicted suffering symptoms of asthma, however asthma works in cycles, and some children are rarely triggered or go through periods without experiencing symptoms.
- Stan was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in "Ass Burgers", but in the contest of the episode, this seems to be treated as a misdiagnosis, and it's generally suggested that the real-life social developmental disorder doesn't exist in the South Park universe.
- In "The Cissy", it is hinted that Stan may be uncomfortable with his assigned gender and may select a new gender identity in the future, but he currently continues to identiify as a male.