Despite their own psychological issues, Stephen and his wife Linda are stern, dedicated parents to their son Butters. They are never afraid to discipline or punish him for weeks at a time - or beat him mercilessly if he's been disrespectful. He's also not afraid to sell his son for two-hundred million dollars to the highest bidder. He does care about Butters though - enough to send him a camp to help him with his 'confusion', or to re-bury his body in a haunted Pet Cemetery in order to bring him back. He also coaches the boys' Little League baseball team.
Stephen is friends and drinking buddies with many of the other boys' dads, including Randy, Gerald and Stuart, and his hobbies include building ships in bottles, smoking his pipe, and frequenting such classy establishments as the the White Swallow Spa and the Studcat Theater. His feelings for other men, which he often suppresses, have put a strain on his marriage that he and his wife are trying to repair. Despite his suppressed and abusive state, Stephen can have his moments of clarity, like defending the merits of free speech in town hall.
- "Butters, you are GROUNDED, mister!"
- "DAMN YOU INTERNET!" (Butters' Very Own Episode)
- "Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Naughty Nurses 2 look like Crotch Capers 3!" (The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers)
- "You're a grounded old bear." (Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset)
- "There's no reason to be afraid of things that aren't real; there's plenty of real things to be scared of. Like super AIDs." (The Death of Eric Cartman)
- "Butters, how do you know what your teacher's penis looks like?" (Eek, a Penis!)
- "Well, it can't be our parenting - we're awesome." (City Sushi)
- Chickenlover (s02e03; cameo)
- Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls (s02e09; cameo)
- Cow Days (s02e13; cameo)
- Quintuplets 2000 (s04e03)
- The Wacky Molestation Adventure (s04e16)
- Butters' Very Own Episode (s05e14)
- Freak Strike! (s06e01)
- Jared Has Aides (s06e02)
- Asspen (s06e03)
- Red Hot Catholic Love (s06e08)
- Child Abduction is Not Funny (s06e11)
- The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers (s06e13)
- The Death Camp of Tolerance (s06e14)
- My Future Self 'n' Me (s06e16)
- South Park Is Gay (s07e08)
- Casa Bonita (s07e11)
- Raisins (s07e14)
- AWESOM-O (s08e02)
- Pre-School (s08e10)
- Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset (s08e12)
- The Losing Edge (s09e05)
- The Death of Eric Cartman (s09e06)
- Marjorine (s09e09)
- Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow (s09e08)
- Cartoon Wars Part I (s10e03)
- Cartman Sucks (s11e02)
- Night of the Living Homeless (s11e07)
- More Crap (s11e09)
- Imaginationland, Episode II (s11e11)
- Imaginationland, Episode III (s11e12)
- Pandemic (s12e10)
- About Last Night... (s12e12)
- The Ungroundable (s12e14)
- The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs (s14e02)
- It's A Jersey Thing (s14e09)
- City Sushi (s15e06)
- Broadway Bro Down (s15e11)
- Butterballs (s16e05)
- Sarcastaball (s16e08)
- Going Native (s16e11)
- Insecurity (s16e10)
- Informative Murder Porn (s17e02)
- The Magic Bush (s18e05)
He can be found inside the Stotch household using his iPhone and telling the player to advise him if Butters needs to be grounded and adds them on Facebook. He does not play much of a role in the larger storyline.
Stephen can be seen at the start of the game where someone leaves a crap in his doorstep. During midnight, where the New Kid escapes his house, Stephen can be seen with the other adults getting drunk and going crazy. Turns out that he is the one crapping on his own doorstep.
Interestingly, Stephen claimed his mother abused him and threatened to ground him. This might be the explanation to why he is this way to his son Butters.
- He was interchangeably referred to as Chris or Stephen until Season 13, since which Stephen has become standard.
- Like his son, Butters' father is an ascended extra - he first appeared in the background of Season 2 and 3 episodes before later joining the main cast as Butters' father.
- He probably has bruised balls after his son gave him a good punch-to-the-nuts, in Grounded Vindaloop.