The Death Camp of Tolerance
The Death Camp of Tolerance
|Written By||Trey Parker|
|Original Air Date||2002-11-20|
Mr. Garrison tries to get himself fired from his new position as fourth-grade teacher so he can sue the school for sexual discrimination and make millions. He shows the kids a "science experiment" in which he inserts the class pet -- a gerbil named Lemmiwinks -- into the anus of his lover, Mr. Slave.
When his students refuse to attend class anymore, they're pronounced "intolerant" and sent off to Tolerance Camp, an Auschwitz-like prison where they're taught (via food deprivation, hard labor, and arts and crafts) to respect others. To top it off, Mr. Garrison wins a Courageous Teacher award.
Meanwhile, Lemmiwinks fights to survive in Mr. Slave's body. He's aided by the spirits of animals previously inserted in Slave's anus, including a frog, a sparrow, and a fish. Together they guide Lemmiwinks on his quest to reach Mr. Slave's mouth . . . and freedom.
Furious that the school won't fire him, Mr. Garrison shows up at the Courageous Teacher ceremony wearing a pink headdress and strap-on dildo and riding Mr. Slave, who's dressed (barely) as a horse. The audience, far from horrified, applauds his courage. Defeated, Mr. Garrison admits he just wants to get fired so he can sue the school.
Realizing that their kids don't hate homosexuals, just Mr. Garrison, the parents retrieve the boys from Tolerance Camp. Mr. Garrison and Mr. Slave, who are judged to be intolerant of themselves, are sent in their place. But not before Mr. Slave coughs up Lemmiwinks. He has survived the trials of the gay man's ass, and is declared "the Gerbil King."
What I Learned Today
"Look, just because you have to tolerate something doesn't mean you have to approve of it! If you had to like it, it'd be called the Museum of Acceptance! 'Tolerate' means you're just putting up with it"
- "I'm not fat, I have a different life choice." Cartman
- "Oh, Jesus Christ!" Mr. Slave
- "The journey before you may be long and filled with woe / But you must escape the gay man's ass so your tale can be told." Lemmiwinks' Theme Song
- "I should have never shoved all those poor animals up my ass!" Mr. Slave
- "Holy Moly! I've got to find a way to get fired for being gay!!" Mr. Garrison
- "Dude, I think that Mr. Slave guy might be a -- Pakistani." Cartman
- "I will not put up with tom foolery in my classroom children! Mr. Slave, put this rubber ball in your mouth." Mr. Garrison
- "Dude, tolerance kicks ass!" Cartman
- "What do you think is going to happen when I introduce the element of the gerbil to the endothermic heat of Mr. Slave's ass?" Mr. Garrison
- "Children, there's a big difference between gay people and Mr. Garrison, do you understand that?" Chef
- "I stuck a gerbil up your ass and they want to give me a goddamn medal!" Mr. Garrison
- "I'm very happy to get this award. But you know what makes me even happier? Sucking balls." Mr. Garrison
Mr. Slave, Garrison's leather-wearing, sadomasochistic lover. He is brought in to serve as Garrison's teaching assistant, or for short, the "Teacher's Ass."
Lemmiwinks, the fourth grade's pet gerbil who winds up trapped in Mr. Slave's ass. Along with Lemmiwinks, we encounter the [Frog Priest, Sparrow Prince, and Catatafish -- all ghosts of animals that have been trapped within Mr. Slave's body.
Mr. Hat. After six seasons of being his right-hand man, Mr. Garrison finally decides that 4th grade students are "too old" for his trusty gay puppet. In his place, he introduces his gay partner, Mr. Slave.
Although they aren't killed in this episode, the ghosts and remains of various other small animals are scattered throughout Mr. Slave's digestive tract. Among these are a frog, a sparrow, a fish, and a few other not-so-fortunate gerbils.
Lemmiwinks gets "Gerbil King" treatment with his very own theme song, which plays repeatedly throughout the episode. Also, his trials and tribulations while journeying through Mr. Slave's body are narrated through musical riddles.
Behind The Scenes
Where Did The Idea Come From
This episode was part of the long process of trying to get everything back to the way it was before the boys got into fourth grade. This time, Mr. Garrison becomes their teacher once more.
Pop Culture References
The scenes in the Tolerance Camp are designed as an homage to films like Schindler's List that portray the brutality of Nazi concentration camps. They're also presented in black and white, just like the movie. In the parents' Book Club meeting, they are seriously discussing the merits of A Nancy Drew Mystery: The Curse of Spooky Island. "Nancy Drew" is a book series that follows a fictional young amateur detective, popular among children and teen readers.
At Mr. Garrison's award ceremony, the white-haired audience member who says, "But the museum tells us to be tolerant," looks a lot like the Star Trek character Makora.
The Lemmiwinks story bears a strong resemblance (both in its animation style and in the choice of accompanying music) to the 1977 animated TV special The Hobbit. Matt and Trey say he's their Frodo -- a passive character who survives by taking orders from others. Not surprisingly, Lemmiwinks has become one of South Park's most beloved characters.
A modified version of Lemmiwinks theme song will make an appearance at the end of "Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset", after Paris Hilton gets stuck in Mr. Slave's ass. There's a picture of Kathie Lee Gifford from "Weight Gain 4000" in Principal Victoria's office. In the Tolerance Camp, the boys are forced to make macaroni pictures. This is not the first time -- Moses also desired them in "Jewbilee."
- e1 Freak Strike
- e2 Jared Has Aides
- e3 Asspen
- e4 The New Terrance and Phillip Movie Trailer
- e5 Fun with Veal
- e6 Professor Chaos (episode)
- e7 The Simpsons Already Did It
- e8 Red Hot Catholic Love
- e9 Free Hat
- e10 Bebe's Boobs Destroy Society
- e11 Child Abduction is Not Funny
- e12 A Ladder to Heaven
- e13 The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers
- e14 The Death Camp of Tolerance
- e15 The Biggest Douche in the Universe
- e16 My Future Self 'n' Me
- e17 Red Sleigh Down