Towelie is a Smart Towel RG-400 first manufactured by Tynacorp to make people dry as needed - or, according to Tynacorp's enemies, to make them too dry. After discovering marijuana, he got high and sort of wandered off however, and soon found himself in South Park, where he eventually began trailing the boys and getting them embroiled in a TynaCorp plot involving Gary, Towelie's successor, allowing Towelie to gain compassion before escaping.
Now free to live his own life, he tried to make it in Chicago as a waiter and a writer but his memoirs fell victim to a scandal on the Oprah Winfrey show. He moved back to South Park and after an appearance on the TV series Intervention in "Crippled Summer", Towelie kicked his drug habit, and now lives with his girlfriend Rebecca and their son Washcloth again.
He continues to give towel advice to people in South Park to this day.
- "Don't forget to bring a towel!"
- "You wanna get high?"
- "I have no idea what is going on."
- "You're a towel!"
- "Don't preach to me, fatso." (Towelie)
- "Thats it! Thats the melody to Funkytown." (Towelie)
- "So am I to understand that there's been a TOWLIE-BAN?" (Osama bin Laden Has Farty Pants)
- ”I learned I shouldn’t get high to come up with ideas. I should come up with ideas and then get high to reward myself.”
- Towelie (s05e08; debut)
- Osama bin Laden Has Farty Pants (s05e09)
- Professor Chaos (s06e06)
- I'm a Little Bit Country (s07e01; cameo)
- Red Man's Greed (s7e07; cameo)
- A Million Little Fibers (s10e05)
- Medicinal Fried Chicken (s14e03; previews only)
- Crippled Summer (s14e07)
- Towelie has actual merchandise. In the South Park store, he has a towel,hand towel, a shirt with the man himself on it, and a shirt with him and the words, "Don't forget to bring a towel!"
One of the game's levels takes place in Tynacorp and Towelie attempts to guide the boys through the facility, but is ultimately too high to be an effective guide.