Eric Theodore Cartman
|Penis Size||1.2 inches|
|Aliases||A.W.E.S.O.M.-O 4000, Dawg the Hall Monitor, Erica Cartman, The Coon, The Grand Wizard King, Mitch Conner, Mr. Cartmanez, Fatass|
|Religion||Roman Catholic, Blaintologist (formerly) Judaism (formerly)|
|Voiced by||Trey Parker|
|First Appearance||The Spirit of Christmas (Jesus vs. Frosty)|
- 1 About
- 2 Memorable Quotes
- 3 Greatest Hits
- 4 Design
- 5 Main Alter Egos
- 6 Other Alter Egos/Outfits/Counterparts
- 6.1 Season 1
- 6.2 Season 2
- 6.3 Season 3
- 6.4 Season 4
- 6.5 Season 5
- 6.6 Season 6
- 6.7 Season 7
- 6.8 Season 8
- 6.9 Season 9
- 6.10 Season 10
- 6.11 Season 11
- 6.12 Season 12
- 6.13 Season 13
- 6.14 Season 14
- 6.15 Season 15
- 6.16 Season 16
- 6.17 Season 17
- 6.18 Season 18
- 6.19 Season 19
- 6.20 Season 20
- 6.21 Season 21
- 6.22 Season 22
- 6.23 Season 23
- 6.24 Phone Destroyer
- 6.25 Cut Costumes
- 7 Family
- 8 Close Friends
- 9 Affiliations
- 10 Featured Episodes
- 11 Behind The Scenes
- 11.1 From "Towelie" (508)
- 11.2 From The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers (613)
- 11.3 From "Fishsticks" (1305)
- 11.4 From "Let Go, Let Gov" (1701)
- 11.5 From "World War Zimmerman" (1703)
- 11.6 From "Taming Strange" (s17e05)
- 11.7 From "A Song of Ass and Fire" (1708)
- 11.8 From "Go Fund Yourself" (s08e01)
- 11.9 From "Gluten Free Ebola" (1802)
- 12 Video Games
- 13 Bonus Factoids
Although his full name is Eric Theodore Cartman, he's usually referred to only by his last name (Cartman). He's one of the main characters in South Park, along with Kyle Broflovski (his frequent rival), Stan Marsh, and Kenny McCormick.
Cartman is the fat, self-centered asshole in the group, often concocting schemes to make money and/or procure Colonel's chicken. He absolutely hates Kyle, despises hippies, and can't stand Family Guy. But he does have a soft spot for Mel Gibson, his stuffed animal Clyde Frog, and cats (especially his own cat, Mr. Kitty).
After years of trying to discover who his real father is, he recently found out that he's the illegitimate son of Jack Tenorman, making Scott Tenorman his half-brother...and making him largely responsible for killing his own parents.
Cartman also moonlights as the infamous superhero The Coon. He originally joined forces with the boys to form Coon and Friends, but when they all turned against him, he teamed up with the Dark Lord Cthulhu.
You are a fairly average person; you just want to sit on the couch, play video games and eat delicious Cheesy Poofs. But you can also be a sadistic, sociopathic piece of shit. People with Eric Cartman DNA are often only interested in wealth and authority, stopping at nothing to obtain both.
- "Yeah, I want Cheesy Poofs!" (Cartman Gets an Anal Probe)
- "No Kitty, this is MY pot pie!!!" (Cartman Gets an Anal Probe)
- "BEEFCAKE!!" (Weight Gain 4000)
- "I’m not fat! I’m festively plump!" (Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo)
- "I am a COP and you will respect my authoritah!" (Chickenlover)
- "I wasn't saying anything about their culture. I was just saying their city smells like ass." (Rainforest Schmainforest)
- "Do you like it? Do you like it, Scott? I call it Mr. and Mrs. Tenorman chili." (Scott Tenorman Must Die)
- "Nya nya nya nya NYAAAA nya! I made you eat your par-ents! Nya nya nya nya NYAAAA nya!" (Scott Tenorman Must Die)
- "Oh, let me taste your tears, Scott! Mmmm, your tears are so yummy and sweet." (Scott Tenorman Must Die)
- "CRIPPLE FIGHT!!!!!" (Cripple Fight)
- "There's so much to do at Cartmanlaaaaaand, but you can't come! Especially you, Stan and Kyle." (Cartmanland)
- “Oh si, si, si…” (Fat Butt and Pancake Head)
- "BUT THEY SAID I CANT BE IN THEIR CLUB!" (Krazy Kripples)
- "I’m not fat, I just have a sweet hockey body." (Grey Dawn)
- "And now I will use my powers to turn Kyle into a chicken!" (Good Times With Weapons)
- "I’ve sometimes looked at people with disabilities as people God put here on earth for my amusement.” (Up the Down Steroid)
- "They're not PEOPLE, they're HIPPIES!!!" (Die Hippie, Die)
- "Vote for TURD SANDWICH. This is the MOST IMPORTANT ELECTION OF YOU LIFE. Turd Sandwich brings the hope for change. A vote for Turd Sandwich is a vote for tomorrow" (Douche and Turd)
- "He's a Jewish Dolphin... A Jewphin." (Mr. Garrison's Fancy New Vagina)
- "HOW DO I REEEEECH THESE KEEEEEDS!?!?!?!?" (Eek, A Penis!)
- "DA FUCK!?" (Fatbeard)
- "Me and Kinny don't give two shits about stupid ass whales!" (Whale Whores)
- "I cannot offer you or your child any CASH. I CAN however... offer you a little bit of crack." (Crack Baby Athletic Association)
- "Uh trust me, he's not fat and unimportant. I think we need to change his status to ripped and sweet." (Let Go, Let Gov)
- "Boooooo. Boo Wendy. Boo Wendy Testaburger. Boo." (Informative Murder Porn)
- “They don't salute in Game of Thrones, Butters.” (Black Friday)
- "Boner Balls. B-Boner Forest. Dense Boner Forest." (Go Fund Yourself)
- "Sitting on our asses, here we come!" (Go Fund Yourself)
- "Fuck, I want pancakes..." (Gluten Free Ebola)
- "CARTMAN BRAAAAAH!" (#REHASH)
- "Speak Through the hood, KINNY!" (#REHASH)
- ”Kyle, believe me... I know the struggle with hatred. Let's make ourselves better people... together.“ (Stunning and Brave)
- "David! David! David!" (You’re Not Yelping)
- "I'm now the leader of thousands of people! They all hang on my every word! [softly] And I'm gonna use my power to finally get what this town really needs." (You’re Not Yelping)
- ”Hey Kyle. You wanna see what people said about my dick pic? Everyone's pretty stoked on it. “ (Safe Space)
- "Every time Amy Schumer talks about her vagina, I lose my fucking mind." (The Damned)
- "I don't have any friends. I don't know if I ever did." (The Damned)
- "Do girls not have balls?" (The Damned)
- "Have you met my girlfriend, Heidi? She's really smart, and really funny." ("Weiners Out")
Cartman has coined a number of memorable and iconic phrases since the show’s very first episode that have helped to cement his status as the series’ most popular character and a pop culture icon. Since the early second season, they have often appeared in merchandising for the show, and sometimes appear in other media to reference South Park. They are even sometimes used by other characters, like Stan, Kenny, or Clyde.
In recent years, Matt and Trey use these phrases much more rarely, but Cartman still uses them on occasion.
- "I'm not fat, I'm big boned!"
- "Screw you guys, I’m going home!"
- "No kitty! That’s a bad kitty!!"
- "Seriously, you guys!" or “I’m so seriously!”
- “But meeeehm!”
- "Kewl." or "That's kewl."
- "I'll kick you in the nuts!!" or “I’ll kick you squah in the nuts!” (debuted in ”An Elephant Makes Love to a Pig“)
- "I hate you guys." or “I love you guys.” (debuted in “Cartman’s Mom is a Dirty Slut”)
- "Respect my authoritah!" or “Respect my authoritay!” (debuted in ”Chickenlover“)
- "Suck my balls!" (most famously in ”South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut“)
- "I'll make you eat your parents." (debuted in ”Scott Tenorman Must Die“)
- "You're breakin' my balls." (debuted in ”Kenny Dies“)
- "Whatevuh, I do what I want!" (debuted in ”Freak Strike“)
- ”Kevin godammit.“ (debuted in ”The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers“)
- "Oh hey babe, what's going on?" (debuted in White People Renovating Houses)
- "Poor people tend to live in clusters."
- "Drugs are bad because if you do drugs, you’re a hippie, and hippie suck.”
- "It’s a man’s obligation to stick his boneration into a woman’s separation. This sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation”
- "I'm gonna spend my whole childhood eating what I want and doin' drugs when I want! WHATEVER! I will do what I want!"
- "Heaven could be like the pixie fairies of Bubble Yum™ Forest. You only see them if you really believe in them”
- "We're in this together, Craig! If Butters tells on us then we're gonna tell on you. That's the Ninja code!"
- "These are what we call giggling stoners. Pretty common form of hippie usually found in the attics. Problem is, if you see one hippie, there’s probably a whole lot more you’re not seeing”
- "What awaits each person in heaven is eternal bliss, divine rest, and ten thousand dollars, cash.” *"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least $8."
- "Everyone knows that only poor people get lice."
- "Real guitars are for old people."
- "Okay, our mission failed but we learned a lot. Primarily that girls do not have balls”
- "Remember Bill Beelicheck. Head coach of the New England Patriots. He’s won three Super Bowls. How? He cheated. He even got caught cheating and nobody cared! He proved that in America, it’s aright to cheat, as long as you cheat your way to the top”
- "Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, and do whatever you want all the time, you could miss it."
- "I’d rather us be Chinese than A NATION OF UNETHICAL DICK SHOOTERS. Think about it”
- "This just goes to show that hard work doesn’t pay off. I’m going to be a homeless drug addict from now on!”
- “Kyle, that's the way the world works! If you wanna find some quality friends, you gotta wade through all the dicks first!”
- “Don‘t ask why Kenny wanted to be a chick, that‘s just how he seems to be rolling right now.”
- “Even if I don’t agree with his hateful bigoted thoughts... it doesn’t mean I’ll stand by while Kyle’s intolerance is dealt with violently.”
- “Sometimes joking about un-PC things can actually be important, because it starts a dialogue.”
- "I guess just because I don’t understand [homosexuality], doesn’t mean I can’t support it.”
- ”Girls rule, women are funny, get over it.”
- "I guess I didn't deserve a second chance."
- "I don't have any friends. I don't know if I ever did."
It's surprising to everyone, but Cartman actually has quite the singing voice -- you can rock out with some of his greatest hits right here!
- “Kyle’s Mom is a Stupid Bitch” from “Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo” and “South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut” - probably Cartman's Greatest Hit of All-Time!
- “Come Sail Away” (cover) from “Cartman’s Mom is Still a Dirty Slut”
- “My Best Friends” from “Spookyfish”
- “Christmas Trees and Pie (O Holy Night)” from “Mr. Hankey’s Christmas Classics”
- “The Dreidel Song” from “Mr. Hankey’s Christmas Classics” features a little Cartman
- “In the Third Grade...” from “Fourth Grade”
- “The Heat of the Moment” from “Kenny Dies”, featuring the United States Congress
- “Make it Right” from “The Death of Eric Cartman”
- “Super Fun Time” from “Super Fun Time”
- “Do What You Gotta Do”, from “Elementary School Musical”, with Stan, Kyle, and Kenny
- “Queef Free”, from “Eat, Pray, Queef” as part of the larger group.
- “Somalian Pirates We" from “Fatbeard”
- “Poker Face” (cover) from “Whale Whores”
- “Not My Water Park” from “Pee”
- “I Swear” from “Cartman Finds Love”
- “My Safe Space” from “Safe Space”
- "Let's Come Together as a School" from "Douche and a Danish", with Heidi Turner
The Cult of Cartman
It should come as little surprise that there are those who find Cartman a 'wunderkind' and wish to emulate him in their daily lives - or at least, it should come as little surprise that Cartman 'believes' there are people out there who feel this way. He has issued twelve commandments and so-called "life lessons" for his followers to adhere to if they wish to truly emulate his ways in their daily lives. These commandments were released as short introductions to twelve classic South Park episodes in The Cult of Cartman - Revelations DVD, released on October 7th, 2008 to promote the second half of the show's twelfth season.
- "When somebody does you wrong, you must be prepared to retaliate a thousand fold. And pubic hair isn't something you buy, you have to grow it on your body when you get older." (Scott Tenorman Must Die)
- "Never take a joke too far, no matter how funny it is. Hitler learned this lesson the hard way." (AWESOM-O)
- "What awaits us all in Heaven is eternal bliss, divine rest, and ten thousand dollars in cash. And remember - we all die in 2012." (The Death of Eric Cartman)
- "If you really hate something, use racial tolerance as an excuse to destroy it. Liberals are masters at this." (Cartoon Wars Part I)
- "Family Guy sucks my balls." (Cartoon Wars Part II)
- "You should never swear on Television. Especially if when you were younger, your cousin and yourself were curious, and you touched weiners." (Le Petit Tourette)
- "Even in your darkest moments, try to stay HIV positive. There's nothing an HIV positive mind can't overcome." (Tonsil Trouble)
- "Cheating is the way to get ahead - but if you get caught, you can't stop cheating, or else you will lose the Super Bowl. Right, Bill?" (Eek, a Penis!)
- "No matter how great you try to make your life, people will find a way to fuck it up for you. And remember - we all die in 2012." (Cartmanland)
- "Do not pretend to be handicapped, because it isn't fair to people who really ARE handicapped, like Kanye West" (Up the Down Steroid)
- "No matter who it hurts, do whatever you can to have a super fun time, all the time, because we all die in 2012." (Super Fun Time)
- "The final and most important lesson... do not trust the Jews. Oh, and kids with red hair and freckles have no souls. And we all die in 2012." (Ginger Kids)
Here's Cartman's biggest design changes throughout the show's run.
Main Alter Egos
Alter egos that have appeared numberous times in-show and/or other official media.
Other Alter Egos/Outfits/Counterparts
More than any other character in the show, Cartman has created dozens of alter-egos, false identities and costumes - many chiefly to serve his own goals and purposes, such as pretending to be handicapped to win in the Special Olympics and a cash prize, or pretending to be a robot manufactured in Japan in order to humiliate Butters. Each alter-ego has a unique, detailed backstory and a costume lovingly crafted by his mother. One of these most notable of these identities, however, is the superhero The Coon, who seeks nothing less than fame, glory, and global merchandising rights (see above).
Not every alter-ego is so easy to explain though. Nobody's sure where Cartman's very own Cupid "Me" came from, and Hennifer Lopez and Mitch Conner seem to have a mind all their own, rhat is determined to run off with Ben Affleck regardless if Cartman gives his legal consent (see above).
Ming Lee, meanwhile, brought on by head trauma, seems to have a preference for Leonardo DiCaprio, who pays her handsomely for her services. Whether the sexual encounters his alternate identities experience reflect on Cartman, we're still figuring it out, but neither of them can be counted for processed affirmative consent forms.
Click on the alter-ego to visit their page, with more detailed information on their personaliy and adventures, or to visit the episode/storyline they came from:
Cartman is a member of a wide variety of groups, clubs and teams across the town of South Park and it's history, and of course, has special outfits for many of them. His leadership has benefited many of these groups.
Cartman has had past fame with music, whether it's to make a buck or on other occasions.
While Cartman isn't usually the athletic type, he has been seen on a few sport teams.
As a main character on the show, Cartman is almost always present - so here is just a partial selection of some of his most infamous moments...
- Cartman Gets an Anal Probe (s01e01)
- Weight Gain 4000 (s01e02)
- Volcano (s01e03)
- An Elephant Makes Love to a Pig (s01e05)
- Pinkeye (s01e07)
- Damien (s01e08)
- Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo (s01e10)
- Cartman's Mom Is A Dirty Slut (s1e13)
- Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut (s02e02)
- Chickenlover (s02e03)
- Chickenpox (s02e10)
- Clubhouses (s02e12)
- Merry Christmas Charlie Manson (s02e16)
- Spontaneous Combustion (s03e02)
- Cat Orgy (s03e07)
- Hooked on Monkey Fonics (s03e13)
- The Red Badge of Gayness (s03e14)
- Cartman’s Silly Hate Crime 2000 (s04e01)
- Cartman Joins NAMBLA (s04e06)
- Something You Can Do With Your Finger (s04e09)
- Fourth Grade (s04e11)
- Fat Camp (s04e15)
- Scott Tenorman Must Die (s05e04)
- Cartmanland (s05e06)
- How to Eat with your Butt (s05e10)
- Freak Strike (s06e01)
- Ladder To Heaven (s06e12)
- Fat Butt and Pancake Head (s07e05)
- Christian Rock Hard (s07e09)
- Casa Bonita (s07e11)
- All About Mormons (s07e12)
- Good Times With Weapons (s08e01)
- AWESOM-O (s08e02)
- Cartman's Incredible Gift (s08e13)
- Die Hippie, Die (s09e02)
- The Death of Eric Cartman (s09e06)
- Cartoon Wars Part I (s10e03)
- Cartoon Wars Part I (s10e04)
- Make Love, Not Warcraft (s10e08)
- Go God Go (s10e12)
- Go God Go XII (s10e13)
- Le Petit Tourette (s11e08)
- Eek, A Penis! (s12e05)
- Super Fun Time (s12e07)
- Breast Cancer Show Ever (s12e09)
- The Coon (s13e02)
- Fatbeard (s13e07)
- Whale Whores (s13e11)
- Pee (s13e14)
- You Have 0 Friends (s14e04)
- Poor and Stupid (s14e08)
- Coon 2: Hindsight (s14e11)
- Mysterion Rises (s14e12)
- Coon vs. Coon & Friends (s14e13)
- Crack Baby Athletic Association (s15e05)
- 1% (s15e12)
- The Poor Kid (s15e14)
- Jewpacabra (s16e04)
- Cartman Finds Love (s16e07)
- Raising the Bar (s16e09)
- Insecurity (s16e10)
- Obama Wins! (s16e14)
- Let Go, Let Gov (s17e01)
- World War Zimmerman (s17e03)
- Ginger Cow (s17e06)
- Black Friday (s17e07)
- A Song of Ass and Fire (s17e08)
- Titties and Dragons (s17e09)
- Go Fund Yourself (s18e01)
- Gluten Free Ebola (s18e02)
- The Cissy (s18e03)
- The Magic Bush (s18e05)
- Grounded Vindaloop(s18e07)
- #REHASH (s18e09)
- #HappyHolograms (s18e10)
- Stunning and Brave (s19e01)
- You're Not Yelping (s19e04)
- Safe Space (19e05)
- Tweek x Craig (s19e06)
- Member Berries (s20e01)
- Skank Hunt (s20e02)
- The Damned (s20e03)
- Wieners Out (s20e04)
- Douche and a Danish (s20e05)
- Fort Collins (s20e06)
- Oh, Jeez (s20e07)
- Members Only (s20e08)
- Not Funny (s20e09)
- The End of Serialization as We Know It (s20e10)
- White People Renovating Houses (s21e01)
- Put It Down (s21e02)
- Holiday Special (s21e03)
- Franchise Prequel (s21e04)
- Sons A Witches (s21e06)
- Doubling Down (s21e07)
- Moss Piglets (s21e08)
- SUPER HARD PCness (s21e09)
- Splatty Tomato (s21e10)
On rare occasions, Cartman takes a complete backseat and doesn't even speak!
- Terrance and Phillip in Not Without My Anus (s02e01; photograph cameo)
- Two Guys Naked in a Hot Tub (s03e08)
- Jewbilee (s03e09)
- Pip (s04e05)
- A Million Little Fibers (s10e05)
- Stanley's Cup (s10e14)
- More Crap (s11e09)
- City Sushi (s15e06; crowd cameo)
- Goth Kids 3: Dawn of the Posers (s17e04)
- Handicar (s18e04)
Behind The Scenes
Below is a selection of kick-ass behind the scenes content, exclusively from South Park:
From "Towelie" (508)
Check out this old-school storyboard from our archives, depicting the scene where Kyle and the boys try to make excuses so they can play more Okama Gamesphere. All boards used to be drawn individually by hand. Now, we do them all digitally.
"Parachute" Production Art
This is some old-school production art used while developing the parachute look for Towelie and the boys. The notes are there to give animators cues on which color textures to use while animating.
Character Art: The Wizard
Character art used in designing Cartman's "Wizard" look.
From "Fishsticks" (1305)
Character Art: Cartman
Cartman got a fresh "perm" character design for his appearance on Ellen.
Character Art: Cartman
Check out the character design for this super-cool version of Cartman:.
From "Let Go, Let Gov" (1701)
Where'd The Idea Come From: "Cartman on Speakerphone"
The speakerphone idea really kicked off when Trey did an imitation of how the Kardashians talk on their cell phones.
From "World War Zimmerman" (1703)
Fist Bump: Storyboard
After the script is written, the first step in our production process is creating storyboards. Here's a "board" of the fist bump scene, before it was animated bro.
Hip Hop Cartman: Character Design
Our art department created this special hip hop outfit for Cartman. You can see it in action during his "I Was Not The Bullet" presentation.
From "Taming Strange" (s17e05)
Character Art: Wet Kids
"Wet" versions of all the kids needed to be created prior to animating this scene.
From "A Song of Ass and Fire" (1708)
Production Art: Cartman's Throne Poses
Getting Cartman's fat ass through the door on his Royal Carriage required a special pose.
From "Go Fund Yourself" (s08e01)
Character Art: Salesman Cartman
This was from one of the 1st scenes written for this episode.
Character Art: Cartman's Redskins Gear
Character Art: Cartman's Keynote
This art was used while designing Cartman's "start-up" look:
Prop Art: Kickstarter Webpage
All props - including any web pages shown - must first be designed by the Art Dept.
From "Gluten Free Ebola" (1802)
Props: Fat Ass's Caller ID
The art department is responsible for creating all props in the show, like Fat Ass's Caller ID.
Character Art: Cartman in Bed
This shot of Cartman in bed required a unique set up, and even a new set of hands.
Cartman is one of the playable characters in the game, first appearing as enemies show up at Stan's House first in the storyline. He, Stan Marsh and later others use snowballs to fight back waves of enemies. Cartman is a member of the same 'rocketeer' class as Token Black, Wendy Testaburger and Red, which offer low speed but average range and high power.
- Special Ability - Cartman calls down a powerful airstrike causing explosions to occur around the play field.
Cartman and The Boys team up in a battle through space and time to retrieve their Xbox 360 hard drive, which has been stolen by Scott Tenorman in hopes of destroying it, causing the boys to lose all of their game progress.
- Special Ability - Cartman can use his enormous belly to break through walls to access new areas.
- Special Ability - The Coon's special ability is to climb up vertical walls...
Noble and mighty, the Grand Wizard King commands all human barbarians of Zaron! He has harnessed the magical power of farts and will lay waste to any enemy who crosses him. Such is the power of a Wizard and King. Cartman is the Grand Wizard of the Kingdom of Kupa Keep and a master of the arcane and the profane. Cartman wields tremendous magical power—his ass and mouth are both capable of devastating spells.
- Burning Cloud - Cartman ignites his flatulence, with explosive results.
- Flame Strike - Cartman sprays the first two foes in a row with fire. Targets start burning if done perfectly.
- Magic Missile - Hits the target with a powerful magic missile.
- Curse - Cartman activates his v-chip and curses up a storm of electricity
against a single target.
Cartman and his alter-ego, the The Coon are set to make a stunning return in the next all-new South Park video game, leading Coon and Friends from Cartman’s basement once more in a civil war against the Freedom Pals... but we don’t have all the details yet. Stay tuned!
Cartman is a powerful character in the mobile game, with Sheriff Cartman appearing early on as a playable character, with his A.W.E.S.O.M.-O and Grand Wizard King cameos becoming unlockable much later as cards.
- Cartman weighed, by his own estimate, about ninety pounds in the third grade ("Weight Gain 4000").