|Occupation||Mayor of South Park|
|Voiced by||Season 1-3: Mary Kay Bergman, Season 4-7: Eliza J. Schneider, Season 8-Present: April Stewart|
|First Appearance||Weight Gain 4000|
A graduate of Princeton University with higher ambitions, Mary McDaniels is the incumbent Mayor of South Park. She is constantly followed by two aides, one named Johnson, and initially a second named Ted, who was replaced following his death rescuing the boys from a hoard of Homeless People. She is at times egotistical, thoughtless and highly invested in publicity for herself, privately mocking her own citizens and willing to do anything to get the problems off her back, hiding behind the "innocent children" or a public debate if possible. She cares more about embracing gentrification than actually being politically correct.
Despite her elitism and thoughtlessness, it is shown she does care about the town to some extent. After seeing in horror the extent of the Hippie Jam Festival she signed off on, she attempts suicide in shame for her actions by shooting herself in the head. She manages to recover and lives on to make many more bad decisions, including joining the boys' crusade to change the meaning of the word "fag" to mean Harley Riders, and to try to calm the town when it is sued by hundreds of angry celebrities.
The Mayor is a widow who lost her lover/husband before the boys began the third grade, though she still thinks of him at times. She has become quite promiscuous, and has had sex with Jerome "Chef" McElroy, Liane Cartman and Officer Barbrady (multiple times, and in women's lingerie) and has been seeing reading Gazunga's magazine. The Coon suggests she may be a lesbian to the Park County Police in "The Coon". It is notable, however, that she refuses to back down from selling Les Bos to Persians, so her sexuality is likely secret.
Her political party is completely unknown - she has had photographs with both Barack Obama and senior members of the Bush Administration in her office, but based on her trend of embracing liberal policies, she is likely to be a Democrat, if she is not independent.
- "Kathie Lee Gifford in South Park! Oh my God! This is our chance to make a name for ourselves; to show that we're not just some piss-ant white-bread mountain town." (Weight Gain 4000)
- "Now I'll be stuck in this podunk town forever, with all these stupid hick, redneck, jobless, truck driving idiots." (Weight Gain 4000)
- "All we know right now is that some of our children are camping on that mountain and… Oh, I'm sorry, can I start over? You can edit this right? Ready, 3,2,1 (Melodramatically) All we know right now is that some of our children are up camping on that mountain. " (Volcano)
- "This is an outrage! Get me the Mayor! I know that, smartass, I was being ironic!" (Summer Sucks)
- "So, from this day forward, everyone in South Park will be required to fart on a regular basis to insure that nobody else spontaneously explodes." (Spontaneous Combustion)
- "Mr. Lu Kim, tear down this wall!" (Child Abduction is Not Funny)
- "Mr. Garrison, every Christmas you suggest we get rid of all the Mexicans, and every Christmas we tell you "NO!"" (It's Christmas in Canada)
- "What have I done?" (Die Hippie, Die)
- "You four turdballs in my office NOW!" (The F Word)
- "Oh, that's nice! You made our entire town look like gay-bashing redneck homophobes, but at least you'er sorry!!" (The F Word)
- "Little boy, you don't understand how serious this is! Tom Cruise has put together a class-action lawsuit along with 200 other celebrities!" (200)
These are the mayor's always helpful aides, or assistants. Don't confuse them with AIDS, which is actually a deadly disease... especially if they're dire AIDS, guy.
The Mayor has been widowed, but has become promiscuous since. She maintained good friendships with both Officer Barbrady and Chef and was still frequently seen with the former until his dismissal. Her relations with Liane Cartman are undocumented.
The Mayor is rarely seen in social circles but does tend to trust certain citizens more than others -- particularly local geologist Randy Marsh, whom she's trusted since he saved the town from a volcanic eruption and won her extensive media coverage. She has called upon him for numerous other projects and he has since become a member of the City Council. She's also often worked with Sheila Broflovski's many proposals and Mrs. Testaburger often works with her.
While Mayor McDaniels has often tolerated Mr. Garrison when in the company of others, she is often bothered by his behavior, often telling people he's crazy, ignoring his suggestions to get rid of the Mexicans, and worked to gentrify the town when he ran for president. She often dismisses Dr. Alphonse Mephesto's warnings as well. Her relationship with her unamed rival is uncertain, but she was embarrassed when the rival pointed out "fag" is a derogatory term.
- Weight Gain 4000 (s01e02; debut)
- Volcano (s01e03)
- Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride (s01e04; cameo)
- Death (s01e06; cameo)
- Pinkeye (s01e07)
- Starvin Marvin (s01e09)
- Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo (s01e10)
- Mecha-Streisand (s01e12)
- Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut (s01e13; cameo)
- Chickenlover (s02e03)
- Conjoined Fetus Lady (s02e05)
- Summer Sucks (s02e08)
- Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls (s02e09)
- Chef Aid (s02e14)
- Cow Days (s02e13)
- Gnomes (s02e17)
- Spontaneous Combustion (s03e02)
- Jackovasaurs (s03e05)
- Chinpoko Mon (s03e10)
- Korn's Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery (s03e12)
- Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics (s03e15; cameo)
- Chef Goes Nanners (s04e08)
- A Very Crappy Christmas (s04e17)
- Jared Has Aides (s06e02)
- Child Abduction is Not Funny (s06e11)
- Red Sleigh Down (s06e17)
- It's Christmas in Canada (s07e15)
- Die Hippie, Die (s09e02)
- The Return of Chef (s10e01)
- Cartoon Wars Part I (s10e03)
- D-Yikes! (s11e06)
- Night of the Living Homeless (s11e07)
- Fishsticks (s13e05; cameo)
- The F Word (s13e12)
- Medicinal Fried Chicken (s14e03; cameo)
- 200 (s14e05)
- 201 (s14e06)
- A Scause for Applause (s16e13; cameo)
- The City Part of Town (s19e03)
- You're Not Yelping (s19e04)
- Tweek x Craig (s19e06; no lines)
- Naughty Ninjas (s19e07)
- In "Death", it was revealed her first name is Mary.
- She has absolutely no dealings with the Japanese Mafia. (Pinkeye)
Mayor McDaniels can be visited in City Hall and tells the player that the number of Homeless People is making South Park look like an insensitive town and asks them to go beat up all the Homeless People to restore the town's reputation. If the player succeeds, she will grant them a friend request on Facebook. She later makes a post talking about dissolving the City Council.
Notably, her aide Ted was killed by Homeless People in "Night of the Living Homeless", so the vendetta may be personal.